Common Maintenance Troubleshooting Tips
Some helpful things to check or try before you need to contact anyone.
please have a look at some of the commonly encountered tenants’ issue listed below where we have detailed some tips to fix or avoid them.
|NO POWER / NO LIGHTS / POWER POINTS NOT WORKING
- ∙ Perhaps the safety switch has been activated, reset the safety switch in the fuse/meter box.
- ∙ Perhaps one of your appliances is faulty (for example, your fridge).
* Note if you call out an electrician and your appliance is at fault, you will be invoiced for the call-out
- ∙ Turn off the power points and unplug all the appliances in the house.
- ∙ Reset the safety switch in the fuse/meter box.
- ∙ Plug in the fridge (or other appliance) and turn on the power point.
- ∙ If the safety switch clicks off again, you know the problem is the appliance, which needs repair.
- ∙ If not, test another appliance in the same manner.
- ∙ If not see below Check the appliance in another power
point to ascertain if the issue is with the appliance or with the power point
∙ Perhaps a light bulb has blown (check other lights & power appliances). Replace a bulb and try the light again
Perhaps your street is suffering a temporary interruption or fault:
- ∙ Contact your electricity company.
- ∙ Contact the electricity supplier to confirm if there is an issue known.
- ∙ If you live in a townhouse or apartment, there may be an interruption or fault that affects the complex.
- ∙ Check with a neighbour to ascertain this. If the problem is complex-wide, contact the Body Corporate manager. (contact details are generally listed on a plaque near the letterbox or front of the complex)
|NO HOT WATER
- ∙ Did you remember to arrange your Gas/Electricity supply company when you moved?
- ∙ Perhaps the tap to fill the system has been turned off? Ensure that the tap is turned on fully.
If you have an electric system:
- ∙ Ensure that the safety switch in the fuse/meter box is engaged
- ∙ If power connection has been connected the same day, await overnight to ensure that the electric system is not on a “off peak” timer
If you have a gas system:
- ∙ Check the pilot light. If it has gone out, follow the user instructions to relight it.
- ∙ Ensure that the valve on the gas meter has been turned on.
- ∙ Are the other gas appliances working at the property?
|BLOCKED SINK / SHOWER / TOILET
||CHECK A major blockage must be reported to your property manager.
However, if your sink or shower takes a long time to drain:
∙ Clear hairs and old soap from the waste pipe and U bend by putting a bucket under the pipe, unscrewing it and removing the debris. Re-attach the pipe and pour boiling water down the drain.
- ∙ Remove old food from the kitchen outlet and pour boiling water down the drain.
- ∙ Never put fat and oil into a drain as these clog up the pipes.
- ∙ Please note that should the blockage be found to be at fault of the tenant (such as hair, toys, sanitary products) the tenant will be sent the invoice to pay.
|TAP WON’T TURN OFF
||CHECK ∙ If a tap won’t turn off and water is gushing go to the mains which is usually situated near the garden tap – turn off the mains tap here and call the office or the urgent maintenance phone if outside business hours.
- ∙ If there is a stop tap under the sink which is leaking this can be turned off rather than the mains at the front of the property so that water is then available for the remaining of the property
|STOVE ELEMENT NOT WORKING
||CHECK ELECTRIC STOVE
- ∙ Ensure electricity has been connected to the property.
- ∙ The connections may be loose or dirty.
- ∙ The energy supply may not yet have been
connected. GAS STOVE
- ∙ Ensure gas has been connected to the property.
- ∙ The gas igniter may be obstructed.
- ∙ Ensure the element is correctly positioned
on the stove top.
|GARAGE REMOTE NOT WORKING
- ∙ The remote control batteries may be flat. Try a new set of batteries in the remote control.
- ∙ Check that the lever (which is usually situated next to the control box) inside the garage is set to ‘auto’, as opposed to ‘manual’ (which allows you to open the door with a key or lift the door manually
- ∙ The doors will not close if anything is in the way. Check that nothing obstructs the doors or rollers.
|CENTRAL HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING NOT WORKING
- ∙ Clean the filters (these are found by lifting the front cover up)
- ∙ May need to be re-set – turn off at switch board – leave 5 mins turn back on to reset.
- ∙ Check batteries in remote. (in some cases the remote may need replacing and the unit is not syncing with the remote correctly)
|SMOKE DETECTOR / HOUSE ALARM
- ∙ If your smoke detector is beeping it is usually an indication the battery is low – remove the cover and insert a 9volt battery. If it is still beeping this signifies that there is maybe an issue with unit. If the alarm has a sticker labelled by a service company then contact the agent.
∙ House Alarm is going off, ensure you enter the correct alarm code. If the power supply to the property has been interrupted please disconnect the battery. The battery is found in the alarm box and contact your Property Manager to arrange for a tradesman to attend.